Monday, January 2, 2017

Follow Your Carpet Bliss

I had no idea until I was 30 that I wanted to be a writer. (I’m not going to tell you how long ago that was.) But my point is that I never really took any writing classes in college—and that is why I was so impressed with myself when I had this epiphany about writing on my very own.

I was watching a zombie movie. In one of the scenes, the main character and his mom were in the kitchen. They were just chatting, and the guy picked up a knife to chop an onion or something. And that’s when I had my epiphany: he’s going to need that knife for something else very soon. Something zombie related. And I was right! So, in other words, everything that a writer includes in his or her work is there for a reason. I know it seems pretty obvious, but I had never really thought about it before.

Since then, I have read several books and blogs on writing that have confirmed my epiphany—that a writer should edit out anything that doesn’t have to do with plot, character development, or theme. 

Which is why I was so puzzled by the inclusion of this anecdote in Sarah Palin’s autobiography:

“I remember lush emerald moss hugging the hillsides. Mom always said she was going to buy a carpet that color some day—and one day she did.”

So, basically, her mom said that one say she was going to buy green carpet, and then one day … wait for it, wait for it … she bought green carpet.

I mean, I guess Sarah could have included the carpet story to reveal her mother’s character. I gleaned two characteristics:

1.     Her mom is a woman of her word.
2.     Her mom has interesting taste in carpet colors.


11 comments:

  1. LOL :)
    And seeking those moments is why my kids don't let me talk out loud during mystery shows!! Writers' brains are good for many things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. Increasingly,and particularly in these days of self publishing the delete option is sadly neglected. To the best of my knowledge writers are no longer paid by the word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine did a workshop on "the rule of threes." The idea behind that is if you have something major that's important in your plot, you mention it twice before the big reveal at the end--three times total. I see a lot of professional authors do that, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. there's a She-Hulk joke in there somewhere. I follow no rules when I write, I delete them immediately, rules are too messy. it's the only way for your typing finger to be truly free. free even to not make sense. this piecemeal novel I've been writing for two years centered around the power of the mysterious Stones. as I neared the end I realized this whole time I never explained where the Stones came from. but that was okay. they would remain a mystery forever. and yes, I am lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't really criticize as I had orange shag carpet as a kid. and white carpet as an adult. Both just as bad as green carpet. Maybe Sarah's inclusion of the anecdote is her version of "live your dream!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really cracked me up! Green carpets used to be all the rage - maybe they'll make a comeback one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom's favorite color was green so when we moved into a new house when I was 13 every appliance in the house was green. Mom later admitted she'd grown tired of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard the same thing Stephanie mentions. And when I watch shows or read books I can't help noticing the obvious clues. That's why I love stories with good twists. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer a light, greyish green for carpet. It's all over my house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm guilty! I had a pea green, deep pile carpet in one of the bedrooms back in the nineties :) Never again :)The things we do when we're young. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also didn't let myself write until I was in my 30s.

    So, she's a woman of her word with bad taste?

    ReplyDelete