Thursday, January 19, 2017

Make That a Double

My two-year-old daughter loves listening to nursery rhymes in the car. One of the tracks on her CD is “The Owl and the Pussy Cat.” Allow me to share an excerpt with you: “Oh, beautiful pussy. Oh, pussy, my love. What a beautiful pussy you are, you are. What a beautiful pussy you are.”

Yes, I know “pussy” means “cat,” but it doesn’t stop me from snickering like Beavis and Butthead in my head every time I hear it, and it didn’t stop me from wanting to open my car door and jump out when it came on while my father-in-law was in the car.

My point is that even though “pussy” means “cat” clearly I would never, like, tell someone that I have to get home to feed my pussy.

It’s the same with the word “impotent.” Sure, one of its definitions is “lacking power or ability,” but when I hear the word “impotent,” there’s really only one thing I associate it with. Therefore, if I wanted to convey that something (besides that) was lacking power or ability, I would opt for a synonym.

But that’s because I’m not Sarah Palin and haven’t mastered the double entendre.

In 2015, she wrote an article called “Obama’s Impotence: Why He Can’t ‘Drill, Baby, Drill,'” and it might be one of my favorite things I have ever read. I desperately wanted to include this article in my book, but I it didn’t quite satisfy my book’s needs. However, if my book had a chapter on the double entendre, I would have definitely slid it right in there.

Check out these excerpts:

·      Let the United States Military do its job and kick ISIS ass… or pull out, like you promised.

·      surely they can pinpoint billowing oil facilities in the Islamic flatlands that are much larger than your tiny golf balls

·      Anyone in bed with the enemy gets cut off. Got it?

·      you’re barely limping along as the coalition "leader"

·      the Washington establishment’s complicity with your dysfunction

·      Vladimir Putin is small-headed

·      your waning days in office

·      Wimpy hacks in your lap

     Now, that, my friends, is what I call committing to a theme.

Photo byy Miika Silfverberg - originally posted to Flickr as Birch, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4123493

12 comments:

  1. You can't beat a double entendre! British humour is, of course, seeped in it (!), especially with all the 'Carry On ...' movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what you did there with the "slid it right in there." Well played.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd be snickering a bit if I heard those lyrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Obama’s Impotence: Why He Can’t ‘Drill, Baby, Drill'" OMG. I can't. That is too funny!! And those excerpts. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I had to look at Sarah for more than a moment I would become impotent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got a few giggles out of me this morning. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unmkX15AeN8

    Regular Show ended this week. who will carry on the mantle of Beavis and Butt-head now?

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! That's definitely a commitment to a theme. Doesn't anyone tell these people "hey, that may not be a good idea because it's just going to be laughed at?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm all about the double entendre, but was her whole book like that? I think I would have been exhausted at some point! As for that song, it definitely sounds hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a lot of clever insults. What was that song writer thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always giggle at words like that, too. Another favorite is when I'm watching something old-timey and they talk about what a gay time they're having.

    ReplyDelete