Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Mac in Time

Most of us know at least a little bit about John McCain. We know that he ran for president in 2008. We know that he chose Sarah Palin to be his running mate. We know that he was a prisoner of war in Vietnam. But did you know that he was a wrestler in high school and was nicknamed McNasty? Did you know that he had a cameo in Wedding Crashers? Did you know that he owned a DeLorean and a flux capacitor?

Well, I am assuming he owned a DeLorean and a flux capacitor based on what I read in Sarah Palin’s autobiography. In her first chapter, she recalls the moment that John McCain called to ask if she would like to be his VP. It was August 2008. She was at the Alaska State Fair. I’ll let her to tell you the rest:

            I punched the green phone icon and answered hopefully, “This is Sarah.”
           
            It was Senator John McCain, asking if I wanted to help him change history.

I’m not crazy, right? It would be impossible to change history unless you actually went back in time and, say, caught the apple before it fell on Newton’s head or woke Martin Luther King Jr. up before he had his dream.

I wonder what historical event McCain wanted Palin to help him change. I also wonder what happened to his time machine. I’m assuming he lost it shortly after he made that phone call because I’m pretty sure that on November 4, 2008 he would have programmed that sucker to go back to August 2008.

Photo by Marc Nozell from Merrimack, New Hampshire, USA - http://www.flickr.com/photos/37996583933@N01/2146440291, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3299760









15 comments:

  1. I am grateful that history wasn't rewritten (or even written) to give Sarah a bigger role. But would really like a time machine to take your country back politically.I suspect I would have preferred Sarah to your very almost President. 'Very almost' was a phrase a friend invented to describe events which are only a whisker away. Usually negatives events. I very almost had a car accident was one she often used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting McCain trivia. The problem with time machines is that they're so unreliable and break down all the time, just when you want to go back and change history. Spare parts are a real pain to find too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. all i'm saying is if time travel exists in the future then there'd be time travelers from the future here now in the present. walking down the street. so where are they? why are they in hiding? the future can't be that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so funny, and clever for catching that mis-speak! I hope you have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A time travelling John McCain. Now there's an idea you don't hear every day. Let's hope he didn't bequeath his time machine to certain of his colleagues today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Change history! That's too funny. Well, they made history, but not the version they wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had NO idea you had a new blog. This is hysterical. Too bad they didn't win--how our history would've changed...

    ReplyDelete
  8. There you are! My favorite grammar teacher is back!
    I can't wait to read of John and Sarah's adventures in time travel and your forthcoming book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! That is hilarious. Maybe they lost because they were too busy changing a historical event. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doc Brown would not let Mccain have a flux capcitor. He knows better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh if he had a time machine, I think Mccain would try to change history so this Friday would not happen. This was funny and thank you for visiting my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is hilarious!

    She answered hopefully, "This is Sarah." Was she hoping to be Sarah?

    I once opined that whenever Sarah Palin spoke, an entire Scrabble game fell out of her mouth. A friend disagreed, that was just not true. The "I" and the "Q" were missing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting McCain details, I had no idea. Public figures are so much more than the snippets we see in the media. I sometimes wonder - if we got to know these people in real life, what would we think of them then? For some, our opinions would remain the same; for others, I think we'd have a totally new perspective.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete