Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Sarah Palin’s Christmas: More Is Less

Happy holid … er … scratch that. What I meant to write, Sarah Palin, was Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Phew! That was close. Sarah already got testy with the Obamas earlier this month because of their card that said “Happy Holidays.” She tweeted this in response:

"Merry Christ... er... scratch that. "We Are the Obamas and It's Some Random Holiday!”

I sure don’t want her to think that I am one of those Joe McScrooges waging a war on Christmas.

I wish I could take credit for the fabulous term Joe McScrooge, but Sarah Palin coined it in her 2013 book, Good Tidings and Great Joy: Protecting the Heart of Christmas. She wrote:

“This modern-day Scrooge—lets call him "Joe McScrooge" for short—threatens to destroy every last bit of Christmas cheer we have left.”


I have to say that I am impressed with Sarah for creating such a complex character in Joe McScrooge. On the one hand, this Joe McScrooge seems to be so stingy that he won’t even allow “lets” to have an apostrophe, even though it so desperately needs one. Yet, on the other hand, instead of calling him Scrooge, she calls him Joe McScrooge for short, even though Joe McScrooge has five more letters than Scrooge. In other words, Palin created a character who has the capacity to live either a miserly life or a generous life; he just has to choose. And what particularly intrigues me about Joe McScrooge is his decision to all of a sudden become Irish.

Merry Holidays, everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Sarah Palin has a secret crush on Scrooge McDuck. she can't wait for the DuckTales reboot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I hadn't known about Joe McScrooge's illustrious origins :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand the problem...people just want to include people who celebrate Hanukkah and other religions in their holiday wishes. Why do some Christians feel as though it is somehow erasing their holiday? "Happy Holidays" just encompasses everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe McScrooge. Why do I keep seeing an image of Snoopy in my head?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It could have been worse. He might have been a MacScrooge and become Scottish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is hilarious. Yes, let's (or lets) shorten Scrooge to something longer- and Irish. :)

    Personally I am okay with Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah, Merry Kwanzaa, Happy Winter Solstice or anything else. I see it as someone passing on good wishes- whether I celebrate the holiday they mention or not. Plus, I know lots of people who celebrate more than one winter holiday.

    Thanks for the laughs. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete